Thursday, October 14, 2010

Uber cool kit for travelling

As a discerning nerd it is imperative to take exactly the right items for an extended journey. Gadgets are required to keep connected, write emails, movies, music, photos. Also bags, shoes and clothing obviously required.

Here’s what I selected

IMG_2236

Osprey Kestral 48L. Perfect size for a long journey, the more room you have the more shit you’ll end up dragging around. The straps and back are small and don’t stick put, but also really comfy, also has a rain cover.

I butchered up a home made locking system on the main straps, merely a deterrent for opportunists.

Standard daypack, bought in the UK for 5quid. There is a number of stories about bags getting slashed and everything dropping out the back, or bags getting snatched. I butchered up another simple security for this. I reinforced the bottom of the bag with a plastic folder, then I inserted a black canvas bag to hold everything in the pack, so it has 2 linings. You can see the internal sack in the photo. IMG_2235
IMG_2237 Music and speaker, I bought the speaker at Heathrow for 24 squids, does a fine job, can be compacted and is USB rechargeable.
I picked up this fantastic little player “Sansa” made by SanDisk at Best Buy in the states for 30 bucks. It lasts for 12 hours, has 4gb internal, is USB rechargeable and best of all takes Micro SD Cards!!
Gerber fix anything MacGyver style knife(Note::MacGyver is in my spelling dictionary ..lolzcats).
A great leaving present from my big Sis, thanks Rach. Obviously I don’t really need anything else if I have one of these, I probably could start a new country.
IMG_2238
IMG_2240 Android G1 + extra batteries. My phone of choice for many many years. Has been everywhere dropped countless times, rebuilt, re imaged, taken apart. Everything still works real sweet. Best bits…Keyboard. Other best bit..Can use it to connect my laptop to the internet… known as tethering…Other best bit, GPS with Andnav2 Maps, you can download the maps to the SD card for offline viewing…other best bit..16gb movies and music. Probability of getting stolen…HIGH
HTC Kaiser TyTyn II….My backup phone. Has HSPDA connection so can use for high speed tethering. Also GPS and keyboard. Good for all everything should Phone A die. IMG_2242
IMG_2241 Lenovo S10-2 Netbook. It’s a netbook, that means small, uses little power but does everything a normal PC can do.

Chances of breaking or getting stolen or sunscreen damage…HIGH
Netbook Power Kit. This is a pain to carry, but necessary for all the gadgets I am taking. I like it as it has mains connection as well as a Car 12v connection.

Also I can use the cable to charge my camera battery. If this dies then I am without a paddle.
IMG_2244
IMG_2245 Canon S90 camera. Fantastic, compact and does great night photos.
Slash proof Travel Safe. This is something I found at Heathrow, and I haven’t used it yet. It seems really sturdy and when locked, there isn’t much chance of breaking in.
I will see how practical it is when in the dodgiest parts of Central America.
IMG_2243
IMG_2246 Orange swimming trunks with small zipped front pocket.

Perfect for looking great on the beach.

Keep posted to see them in action.

So that’s about all the technical gear, you just lost The Game btw…

Where: Yacht, Coconut Grove, Miami
Ears: G’n’F’n’R : November Rain

Click "Like" to join Brad Eat World on Facebook

Click to receive updates via email or use