Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Adventures of B.Rad in the Galapagos Islands

21 – 29 August 2011, Galapagos Islands, Ecuador, Mike Oldfield -Tubular Bells
I was in Quito, so very close the the Galapagos, and after all the stories and all the beautiful photos from all the travellers, I decided to bite the bullet and go to visit these crazy islands.
P1030792-1
The Galapagos are a group of islands in the middle of nowhere, If you started swimming off the coast of Ecuador at the equator, you would get to them 600km later (probably about half a days swim by my standards). They were discovered a very long time ago by Mr Tortoise and Mrs Sea lion, and now are home to The Finches and The Shark family, and more recently The Boobies and The Water Lizards. They have many new guests visiting all the time and just like the English got to Ibiza to take drugs and party, animals head to the Galapagos to get mashed.
P1030697
Here a large metal bird carrying parasites lands on the islands,
P1030704
and straight away we are off, to this mysterious island. I am travelling by luxury yacht with 15 other guests
P1030709
And as we pull up to our first encounter, The Stingrays come along to welcome us. We don our masks and fins and jump right in, such amazing way to start.
P1030712
And after our snorkel, and a cup of tea back on board, we venture out to discover which celebrities are partying on this island
P1030717
The security was hostile at first,
P1030760
but after a quick diplomacy mission, they succumb to my animalistic powers
P1030743
Hmmn,
P1030721
and the love making continues.
P1030748
Our intrepid guide had enough facts and figures that it became clear he had a wild imagination
P1030752
and he was very good at spotting little brown animals in the flora and fauna
And with day one over, we headed back aboard our vessel The Fragata, which I had booked through CarpeDM Travel in Quito (and who did a great job and lent me a mask and snorkel for free YAY).
Our boat was fantastic, it was leisurely, had hot showers and the food was fantastic. We were treated like stars and when we got back from all our adventures in the water, our waiter was always awaiting with a hot tea or chocolate and a bowtie. Very nice.
We sailed every night to a new destination, and sometimes there were huge swells. I found a nice method to dispel seasickness is to have a few sneaky rums before hitting the hay.
P1030772
Over the next few days we encountered many strange creatures. These are some of the swimming lizards
P1030767
who were hanging out with this sea lion (it must’ve been sea lion school holidays, they were everywhere)
P1030774
it is a family friendly resort, and children are welcome
P1030791
I take a moment to contemplate the lizards. They generally party hard and sleep it off in the morning
P1030821
and then we found some nesting albatrosses
P1030824
which our film crew quickly snap before they flew away to Australia(F.A.C.T Albatrosses can travel a long way)
P1030825
But WAIT!! Whats that over there
P1030849
OMFG, its a gaggle of nesting Blue Footed Boobies!
P1030854
look at him go!!!
P1030857
and here we have the inquisitive Nazca Boobie from the mainland visiting his relatives.
Wow, what a day for ornithology and ornithologists like myself!! We even came across a flock of boobies fishing, it was IMMENSE.
Blue footed boobies fishing.
After another night dreaming of all the hot boobies, we arrived at a new island with lots of sea lions. They are fast becoming my favourite thing.
P1030897
Hmmmn, as I landed I came across this pusher sea lion, “hello, wink wink, need some help to start the party”
P1030903
“hello to you too, act natural guys”
P1030921
I tried to teach them some awesome tricks
P1030911
but they didn’t want to know, they just wanted to party.

After 30 minutes the effects started to take hold, party on!!
P1030937
There are plenty of adventures to be had on the islands, here I am in a cave,
P1030941
and here I am dropping off a postcard to my mum
P1030985
and there were many beautiful sunsets
P1040072
which I liked to watch with my new friends
I had a great time here, some other highlights I couldn’t photo were snorkelling with white tipped sharks bigger than me in only 2 meters of water, and I could never forget the playfulness of the sea lions, as they charged at me underwater only to pull away at the last second.
P1030890-1
And the nicest thing was that my friends said they will wait for my return, so we can party hard again.
ciao.x.b.rad
Reporting from: Glens Couch, Acton, London

Click "Like" to join Brad Eat World on Facebook

Click to receive updates via email or use