Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Around the world in 28 days–Auckland to Hong Kong

26 Sep – 6 Oct, New Zealand – Brisbane – Sydney - Hong Kong, A Tribe Called Quest, The Anthology

Well, a year on the road was bearing down on me like a mac truck snorting and menacing with glimmering bull bars, there was no avoiding it. Time had finally come, from whence I had to return and face the real world.

P1040699-1

It had been a good innings, I was supposed to have been in New Zealand six months earlier, but with the beauty of my round the world ticket, I was easily able to extend my time in South America.

There were so many things I had intended to accomplish upon booking this trip a measly year ago, have an adventure, see the family, visit friends, make some new ones and check out work prospects here, there and in Hong Kong. I never thought I’d actually get back to the UK.

And so with my departure from South America imminent I was all smiles. Arriving in my hometown is always a special feeling, I couldn’t wait to grab that flat white in Auckland airport.


Auckland – New Zealand

P1040367-1

Auckland was looking stunning and it was rugby world cup time, I sadly only had 3 days to catch up with the family, definitely not long enough.

P1040350
Arriving at 6am into Auckland Airport was super nice, the carvings in the airport were a sweet reminder of childhood stories about how Maui fished up the North Island.
P1040351
Here is sister and her fiancés lovely little house in Lynfield, just down the road from where I started in this life. I was to bed down here for a few nights. Life back home was looking amazing
P1040354
First nights plan is to catch up with the family and spend some time near the giant rugby ball, down at the Auckand waterfront
P1040364
Those crazeee Stillwells. Jim, Sara, Emma and me, the old man is even sporting skinny jeans, very impressive!
P1040370
The next day it was out to the farm to catch up with Mum and her lovely dogs who all dress in the same colour.
P1040379
In the afternoon I managed some time to head down to Muriwai, our local beach for some fish and chips
P1040385
And then off to Helensville, for a long awaited steak and cheese pie.
P1040389
All the family was doing real ace, and I got to meet my new nephew Zac, a true charmer! Here Natalie and him are sporting dulce sueños alpaca hats.
P1040404
Auckland was looking pretty nice too, the whole place was polished for the Rugby World Cup, they even cleaned the harbour
P1040417
More crazeee Stillwells, Neo, Geo and Sara pose with super duper hats
P1040425
But nothing really compares to midnight beers in the garage with heavy machinery. Here Rodney and Jas are keeping it cool after being told off by Emma for starting up the car head grinder.
P1040427
And early the next morning what could be better than the inaugural sailing of Jas’s new boat! We caught heaps of fish (truth).

 


Australia

After fishing I had to get out to the airport for my next flight which took me to Brissy, Brisso, Brisbane, home of the awful Bunderburg rum. I was to catch up with my great mates Damo and Derek, and also help Laura move into Brisbane. Last time we caught up was in Mexico, where I got Dengue Fever.

P1040438-1

Damo and Derek arrived at the airport in a small limo, we were headed straight out to Surfers Paradise, it was going to be a crazy weekend just like in The Hangover

P1040436
And we’re off, Derek drives and Damo and I proceed to do what we do best.
P1040441
and it turns out Jimbo came along with us too
P1040444
some nice bouncers actually let us in to a bar.
P1040464
And after a huge night in which nothing at all bad happened, we hit the beach to sooth our hangovers
P1040472
and try out Damo’s new skimboard, hehehe
P1040484
The gold coast is a beautiful place
P1040491
We also managed to catch up with Dale, Alba and their new child.
P1040521
Back in Brisbane two days later, and just one cheeky pisco sour before Damo had to go to work and I took a flight to Sydney.
P1040530
Where I caught up with my old housemate Mike and his new family,
P1040532
and got to take his greyhounds for a walk on the homestead


Hong Kong – China

After a few nights in Sydney I was to stopover in Hong Kong before smashing into UK. I arranged to catch up with my old workmate Ben, who last seen outside the Grasshopper bar in Amserdam one year ago. We ate some food and drank some beers, and generally had a merry old time.

P1040541
I though Hong Kong was a very busy place with lots of people that work as hard as the doozers from Fraggle Rock.
P1040543
Ben and I are instant celebrities in HK, all the locals wanted photos of us.

And so after a big night in Hong Kong, it was off the the wonderful London, former home of the Beautiful Princess Di (how I miss her).

laters.x.brad

Reporting from Cochabamba, Bolivia

Click "Like" to join Brad Eat World on Facebook

Click to receive updates via email or use